I’m breaking away from my usual format to share some fun news: Edel Pace, the creator of Pacemaker, has nominated me for The Sunshine Blogger Award, which is an honor given out by bloggers to fellow bloggers who write creative, positive, and inspiring content. The purpose is to showcase our community of bloggers and lift each other up. I’m deeply touched by the nomination!
- Thank blogger (s) who nominated you in the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and /or on your blog.
1. Why did you start a blog?
I started Simply Kelsey Jo to launch a platform for me to become a free-lance writer and author. I want to use my blog to support my ability to do what I really want to do: take more writing workshops and write fiction. I would like to eventually self-publish, but when I factor in the costs of hiring an editor and cover artist, it can become expensive. The idea of asking someone to work for “exposure” is repulsive to me, so I’ve decided to use any money I make from free-lancing and the blog to go towards those costs.
I could have easily taken up any number of work from home jobs, but I decided I wanted to contribute towards other people’s well-being and inspire creativity in their lives. It’s my hope that my blog reaches people who need to know that it’s okay to embrace their imperfections and take life at a slower pace.
2. What is your favorite book (s)?
I’m a bibliophile, so this question is difficult for me to answer. My tastes in books are all over the place. I love Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, Alice and her Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, among many others (just ask any of the poor souls who have ever helped me move.)
3. What is your favorite post you’ve written?
My favorite post that I’ve written so far is Why You Should Do Morning Pages (Even if You’re Busy) because morning pages are so important to my routine. I owe so many insights into my personal life from showing up to write my morning pages. It’s a habit I think everyone should take up, even if they don’t consider themselves to be writers.
4. What is the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
I’m not the most adventurous type, to be honest. Skydiving, rock climbing, and the like are not my cup of tea. For me, starting up my blog and free-lance writing business is a huge adventure in itself!
5. Your favorite food is ____________.
It’s a tie between California Rolls, Cashew Chicken, and homemade potato soup. It really depends on the season and the mood I’m in.
6. What piece of advice would you give to a younger self?
Everything you are experiencing now is temporary. The experiences you are going through now will help shape your personality, but they do not have to define you. You are not bound to your past, so go forward and create your own future.
7. What is your favorite inspirational quote(s)?
“Comparison is the thief of joy” -Theodore Roosevelt
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” -Maya Angelou
- “You are allowed to be both a Masterpiece and a Work in Progress, simultaneously.” -Elizabeth Gilbert
For more of my favorite quotes, check out this post here.
8. A country/place you would like to visit.
I’ve wanted to go to Japan since I was a teenager. I’d love to arrange a visit to Studio Ghibli and their museum! Also on my list: Ireland, Scottland, Denmark, and the Netherlands. I’d love to go back to London and Cardiff someday, too. I haven’t traveled outside the U.S. much, but I’d like to visit more places!
9. What is your favorite season? Why?
Fall is my favorite season. If I could live in a state of perpetual autumn with the weather cool but not cold, comfortably wear boots every day, and enjoy warm comfort food, I’d be in heaven. Maybe I should add Portland, Oregon, to my list of places to visit? I’ve heard the weather there is similar to what I described. I love the clothes, the colors, and the food of fall. It also signals a time of change for me, even more so than the new year. It reminds me of that back to school feeling of new beginnings.
10. The one thing you’re most proud of.
I’m most proud of two things:
- Raising my two young children to the best of my abilities. My oldest is growing into a sweet, empathetic boy with a mischievous sense of humor and a contagious smile. My youngest is the happiest baby I’ve ever had the privilege to spend time with and I can’t wait to see what kind of person he becomes. I feel very blessed to be their mother.
- Pursuing my dreams of making a career out of my writing. It doesn’t even matter to me at this point if I succeed or fail because many people go their whole lives without even trying to make their dreams happen. It would be a huge disservice to both me and my family if I didn’t at least try to make my dreams happen.
11. Hard copies of books or an e-reader?
I will always prefer physical copies of books over an e-reader, even though when I do start publishing my longer fiction it will likely be in the form of e-books (simply for the sake of cost.) I love both the new and old book smells, the weight of the book in my hands, and being able to admire the cover art/spines on my bookshelves. I also find I retain information better when I read a physical copy versus something on a screen. I do see the appeal of e-books for their space-saving capabilities but I will always need my stacks of books. I hope that someday I place my own books on my shelves, too.
Though some of these bloggers write outside of the niches that I blog about, everyone on this list posts inspiring, positive, and creative content that leave me feeling better after reading it. In no particular order, here are my nominees for The Sunshine Blogger Award:
- Jen of The Paper Revival
- Alexandra of The Happy Life Formula
- Emma of Teaspoon of Nose
- Kalyn of Mascara and Grace
- Natalie of Towards Greater Things
- Ris of Finger Puppet Press
- Katie of She Embarks
- Fabiana of Nourish + Prosper
- Laura of The Mindful Momblographer
- Angela of The Pinky Project
- Sarah of Simple Happy Life
Questions for my Nominees
- Why do you blog?
- Are you an extrovert or introvert?
- What is your favorite way to spend a day off?
- How do you turn a bad day around?
- What songs are in your current playlist?
- What are you reading right now?
- What are your goals for 2018?
- Outside of blogging, what are your hobbies?
- Coffee, tea, both, or neither?
- Do you use a planner? What kind do you use and why?
- What is your favorite way to practice self-care?
Thank you again to Edel for the nomination. If you are unfamiliar with her blog, she writes about using positivity to overcome obstacles, book reviews, and ordinary people making extraordinary changes. Nominees, please tag me on social media when you have your answers ready. I’d love to read your responses! Readers, please check out Edel’s blog and those of my nominees for more inspiration.